To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily. To not dare is to lose oneself.

- Soren Kierkegaard



August 07, 2011

summer's bounty


Thank goodness for summer's bounty, we have been eating spinach, arugula, lettuce, peas, green onions, cilantro, carrots, radish, beets, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries straight from the garden. Tomatoes, peppers, garlic & soy beans will be a little while yet. I am so thankful we are able to grow some of our own food & that we have a wonderful farmer's market once a week to buy what we don't grow. I have been making some interesting pesto's with the extra greens we have. My friend Nina makes amazing pesto's, she made a fabulous beet top pesto that was so rich & earthy. I have tried a spinach, chili pepper, walnut, parmesan & garlic pesto & a cilantro, almond, parmesan & garlic pesto. The spinach pesto was delicious on rice cakes, but I might have to try a different cheese & nut in the cilantro one next time. What summer foods have you been enjoying?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dont forget the radish leaf pesto -that was my best pesto to date! And how do your get full beets - mine are the size of a button!???

Genevieve said...

I love all of your pesto's, but yes your radish leaf one is simply amazing!
PS Some of my beets were button size too, I think they taste better when they are smaller. I did put lots of compost on them this year though.