To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily. To not dare is to lose oneself.

- Soren Kierkegaard



May 14, 2011

Nature's hue



My favorite way to dye yarn is by using natural plant dyes. The process is not a quick one but it is a wonderful & rewarding experience. Watching the colours develop into their rich earthy shades is pretty exciting. I used alum & cream of tartar to mordant the yarn. Then I dyed the yarn in separate dye baths made from Logwood, Lac & Osage. I used four different types of yarn including a bulky hand spun super wash Blue faced Leicester, a worsted organic Australian merino, a fingering weight blend of super wash merino/cashmere/nylon, and finally a lace weight baby alpaca from Alberta.




8 comments:

Hege said...

Beautiful colours! I really want to try to dye my own yarn someday :)

rebecca said...

oh my goodness...these colors are fabulous! I'm impressed!

Karen Sue said...

Oh, I'm lovin' those yarns! I am headed to my first yarn/fiber festival on Memorial weekend with a couple of friends and I can't wait...except, I'll be totally overwhelmed and excited!! Lookout Ohio, here we come!!

Genevieve said...

Thank you so much Hege & Rebecca.

Genevieve said...

Karen Sue,
Thank you & I hope you have a wonderful time at the festival. I have never been to one but I hope to soon.

Tara said...

Beautiful colours, Genevieve. I especially like the browns which remind me of good chocolate and hot chocolate. These browns have a depth that is often lacking in commercial yarns, if that makes sense.

Lori ann said...

oh my gosh this is an incredibly beautiful post. i love what you've done genevieve, the plant dye and the colors. it would be hard to choose a favorite! I love all your photos and the new look to your blog.

Ginny said...

I so wish I could come hang out with you in your studio!